Here is a video showing researcher Jack Brazil easily getting in down the Dealey Plaza man hole cover with a shot to Zapruder 315.
Note that the third photo shows a typical city sewer tunnel, but we still need a photo from the Dealey Plaza area.
Mafia hit man John Roselli allegedly claimed to be the gunman firing from the storm drain, acting on orders of
kingpin Sam Giancana. In 1976, Roselli was found dead, mutilated and drowned in an oil drum which surfaced.
photo on right is not in Dallas, just for illustration
Photos by JFK researcher Danny Vasquez
Dr. Tom Wilson, U.S. Steel technician analyzes splatter direction
Google Street View directions from Dealey Plaza to sewer tunnel exit
near the corner of South Riverfront Boulevard and Reunion Boulevard
Tunnel exits near the Trinity River
At least one of JFK's assassins may have
escaped Dealey Plaza through underground sewer lines
Article by Shawn Hamilton:
From JFK researcher Danny Vasquez
LBJ and his WPA project covered the Dealey Plaza sewers. SW BELL WESTERN UNION
------ Sewers of Dealey Plaza 1947 FROG;
Excerpts from “History of the Dallas Floodway” by John N. Furlong, P.E., Greg Ajemian, P.E., and Ms. Tommie McPherson, P.E.
Excerpts from “Small Army Man's Vast Underground of Dallas” (1947) by Ben Bradford.
“Dallas has a vast underground. It’s a little known world, made up of tunnels, basements, sub-basements, manhole vaults and sewers that catacomb the city. And, it’s manned by a small army of men and women who make all or most of their living beneath the earth’s surface. Few laymen know the enormity of the city’s underground. Dallas’ storm sewer system—with some lines as much as sixteen feet in diameter—would permit a man familiar with the system to travel beneath the surface to nearly any point in the downtown section and to many suburban areas. Most of the downtown streets and sidewalks are mere shells over these underground installations.”
“The Dallas Power & Light Company (TESCO), Southwestern Bell Telephone Company and Western Union went underground with their installations in the last half of the 1920’s in an effort to clear downtown streets of telephone and power poles and a criss-crosses network of power lines. Now, there are 2,530 underground manhole vaults beneath the city’s streets and sidewalks. These vaults range from small 4x5 cubby-holes, to spaces as large as a big living room. The three companies keep a total of approximately eighty-five workers underground each day on maintenance work.”
“Two large tunnels pass under Main and Akard Streets connecting the Hotel Adolphus and the Kirby and Magnolia Buildings. A steam locomotive operates under Young and Wood streets, with its northern terminal directly under the second section of the Santa Fe Building on Jackson.”
“The McKenzie Construction Company of San Antonio is tunneling a 4,200-foot underground storm sewer…P.C. Sorenson Company of Dallas is at work on three large sewer tunnels, totaling around 1,000 feet…At present, the Sorenson company is midway through with its tunnel under West Commerce between the Triple Underpass and Industrial…thirty-five feet beneath West Commerce.” Over the many years the storm drain on Elm street has been filled in with cement, in 1963 it was more deeper with access to the tunnel system, than it is now.
More photos from Danny Vasquez
Dallas has abandoned underground train tracks. Built in 1924 to link the four
buildings of the Santa Fe Terminal Complex, the subterranean train tracks were
serviced by a steam locomotive until 1950 when it was upgraded to diesel. The
train carried goods to the merchandising centers in the buildings above, and is
said to have ferried illegal booze during prohibition, and soldiers during WWII.
Change of ownership:
In 1942 the United States Government acquired Building No. 1 by eminent domain, converting portions of the building to serve as headquarters for the U.S. Army 8th Service Command as well as an enlistment center. Thousands of draftees, after reporting to the enlistment center in Building No. 1, proceeded to platforms beneath the buildings where they boarded trains bound for training centers. Informal sources suggest the building has among the strongest associations with the war effort of any building in North Texas.
After the government's acquisition of the complex, the warehouse buildings passed into various ownership.
Construction of the nearby Dallas Convention Center severed the link to the main rail lines, and over time the warehouses became vacant. Santa Fe Building No. 3 was demolished in 1988 and replaced with a large parking lot. Santa Fe Buildings No. 1 and No. 2 were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 and renovated over the years, although the isolated No. 4 building remained abandoned for many years.
Current use Santa Fe Building No. 1 still houses offices for the federal government, with additional space in the adjacent Earle Cabell Federal Building and Courthouse. Santa Fe Building No. 2 was redeveloped into SoCo Urban lofts. Santa Fe Building No. 4, at the complex’s southernmost point, reopened in 2009 as the downtown Dallas Aloft Hotel.Remnants of the tunnels still remain in the buildings today.
Drain opening was big back then.